Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Review: Generation Dead



Title: Generation Dead

Series: Generation Dead #1

Author: Daniel Waters

Pages: 392

Publisher: Hyperion

Published Date: May 6th, 2008

ISBN 13: 9781423109211

Rating: 5/5



Phoebe Kendall is just your typical Goth girl with a crush. He’s strong and silent…and dead.

All over the country, a strange phenomenon is occurring. Some teenagers who die aren't staying dead. But when they come back to life, they are no longer the same. Feared and misunderstood, they are doing their best to blend into a society that doesn’t want them. 

The administration at Oakvale High attempts to be more welcoming of the “differently biotic." But the students don’t want to take classes or eat in the cafeteria next to someone who isn’t breathing. And there are no laws that exist to protect the “living impaired” from the people who want them to disappear—for good.

When Phoebe falls for Tommy Williams, the leader of the dead kids, no one can believe it; not her best friend, Margi, and especially not her neighbor, Adam, the star of the football team. Adam has feelings for Phoebe that run much deeper than just friendship; he would do anything for her. But what if protecting Tommy is the one thing that would make her happy?


Review:

I have to say, Daniel Waters proves himself as an author with this exceptionally written debut novel. The plot is fast-paced and incredibly unique for having such a cliche theme. I was quite impressed with the way Waters takes on the topic of death (or undeath, in this case).

Each character is well-developed and constantly changed and evolved throughout the story to the very end. Waters put so much effort into each individual, that I couldn't help but like them all. Even the trigger-happy antagonist, Pete Martinsburg, who I loved to hate with all my being.  

By the end of the book, I actually caught myself getting angry. Not because the ending was written badly, but because it was so well done, I found myself angry with the outcome. Very few books have been able to make me feel an emotion at the end, whether it be anger, sadness, or happiness. I was quite literally drawn into the book.

All in all, a refreshing and enjoyable read.    

1 comment:

  1. I love books where the characters have so much personality. It makes the novel much more enjoyable and readable!

    I actually saw this book awhile back on goodreads but didn't think I would enjoy it. I might have to change that...

    ReplyDelete